Friday, August 20, 2010

How to connect detached garage to my house?

I have a detached garage 20 feet at the back of my house, offset by ~5', with a door facing out 90 degrees to my back door.





I would like to build an enclosed hallway to connect the two structures. (I have converted the detached garage to a living area) There is a very slight incline (about 2 inches) between the house and garage.





Can anyone give suggestions on how I can do this, what the best solution and expected costs? I am in Southern California.





Thanks!How to connect detached garage to my house?
check with your local building department and bylaws officer. We must get clearance from both where I live, before we can do anything like this.How to connect detached garage to my house?
Sounds simple, you might be experience at building somewhere easy like San Diego, but what about building in the us where the frost line is 4 feet and the house is on a foundation and garage on a slab?

Report Abuse



The easiest way is to put a beam from the garage to your house at the Ridge of your roof and at the bottom of each roof plane. Then one roof rafters from the Ridge beam to the supporting beam and that is what we call a breezeway.





If you want to enclose your attaching hallway then you need to pour a four-inch lab that has a vapor barrier underneath and 12'; x 12'; footings.





I've been designing houses and remodels/additions for more than 10 years now. I am in San Diego, California and am very experienced from completing over hundreds of jobs.





I tell you this because you do not want to do anything until you have a solid plan and have spoken with your building department. Some building department's have a requirement on how big an attachment to your house from a modified garage has to be. For example I drew some plans to attach a detached garage to a house and the connecting hallway had to be a minimum of 10 feet wide. It all depends what you zoning and allowed building parameters are.





Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more help.





Http://www.jocorp.net
Build a breezeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment