Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I connect a my brother laptop to my computers internet?

I have windows xp and I am connected directly to a modem and I have comcast as my ISP. My brother has Vista on his laptop. Is there way he can connect to my computer with a phone chord? If i goes from my computer to his laptop? And I also tried connecting his laptop straight to my modem and unplugged mine. But it tried to automatically configure the settings for the network, but it couldnt. Can someone maybe give me some assistance?How do I connect a my brother laptop to my computers internet?
While yes, it is possible to connect via a phone cord, it's an archaic and very complicated method. If you've got a cable modem (which I assume you do with Comcast), then you need to purchase a device called a router. Plug the modem into the router and both computers into the router as well and you'll be able to share the same internet connection.How do I connect a my brother laptop to my computers internet?
If you are using a phone cord, only one computer at a time can be connected to the internet. I believe you will have to set up a ';Wireless'; internet which saves the cord hassle by getting a router which enables you to share. Also don't forget to make a secure network when you do, so others don't ';Steal'; the internet connection you are paying for by making a password and telling your brother so he can use it.





If you only rely on a phone cord, then you will have to use one cord for each computer connected through modem. So you will need to get another cord for the other computer since modem now come with more than one cable phone port.
router is your best solution,if you have a router you can connect many computer you want to plug depending on the routers port.
http://ciscotutorials.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment