Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I connect my laptop to the internet without a router?

I have a Desktop computer using windows XP which is connected to the internet through a cable modem. I also have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with Vista which I would like to connect the internet without having to use a router( I do not have a router). Isn't it possible to do this?How do I connect my laptop to the internet without a router?
It should be possible





You have to connect computer #2 to computer #1 using a crossover cable. Then you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the internet connection.





How do I connect my laptop to the internet without a router?
Without a wireless router the only choice would be to use the cable from the Cable Modem and plug it into your laptop.





Without a Router you can not have two computers using the same internet connection at the same time.
Try contacting your phone company and have them connect it to the internet.
You can get a wireless modem. Which will basically do the same thing as a router but you will only have 1 wired connection. I have a cable modem and a dlink 4-port (wired) and wireless router and have 4 hard wired computer throughout the house and then 3 wireless connections throughout the house and it works great. Thanks
Of course it is possible to connect directly to the internet - I have had such an arrangement also I have connected through the wireless router which I eventually discarded.


Just plug the LAN connector into the cable modem and the other end into the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment