Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I connect my monoblock kitchen taps to my pipework?

I have just purchased a new monoblock mixer tap and it came with flexible hoses (instead of the short length of copper pipe I was expecting). The connector is a stainless steel female thread type (similar to that used to connect a washing machine hose to an in-line tap). What fitting do I need to connect this to my 15mm copper pipe?How do I connect my monoblock kitchen taps to my pipework?
Take your flexible hose along to B%26amp;Q %26amp; try out some of the fittings. You know your pipework is 15mm so you just need to find a fitting which is 15mm one side and a male thread of the same size as your flexible pipe on the other.





It is probably designed to fit onto a standard 15mm isolation valve. If all else fails can you contact the manufacturer %26amp; ask them?How do I connect my monoblock kitchen taps to my pipework?
get a plumber
I'm also concerned that if you don't have the knowledge to work this out, you may not have the skill to make a secure connection. You will probably need two pipe fittings, one for hot and the other for cold - 15mm compression at one end and male iron the other end. You will also need either sealing washers or PTFE tape, depending on what type of tap fitting you have. Play safe and get a plumber. Don't bother asking anyone at B%26amp;Q, Focus or Homebase, they haven't a clue.
did you have shut off valves on the old faucet ? if not you will need to buy 2 of these you can get compression fittings or solder on some regular fittings they will be 1/2 inch shut off vales and your new faucet will have 3/8 inch connectors , the shut off valves are this size ,
quick tip if you own a digital camera snap a pic and take to home depot and they will fix you up, flex hose is much easyer to install,and if the supply lines do not fit your connection simply take the supply lines to the hardware with your picture and they will give you an adapter to connect it to the right size, i reccommend home depot because if smaller stores dont have the adapter they will sell you a much more complicated way like saughter and welding go with the adapter its much faster
?
plumber or someone who knows what they are doing would be advisable
I could not agree more. Get a plumber.


My advice is to get quotes from 3 or 4 and pick the one which sounds best and cheapest. You could use the big adds in the yellow pages as they normally have a good reputation.
Do as Uncle Fester suggests.I had the same problem and went to B%26amp;Q.They showed me exactly what I needed to do and what parts I needed to buy.You may have to reduce the length of the existing water pipes to create a space between them and the tap for the flexible hoses to fit into.Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment